Training for professionals
At SLT for Kids we believe that education is key, we provide a range of training opportunities for professionals who want to develop their understanding and skills around eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties or disorders as well as the range of accompanying conditions. We can offer training courses for professionals such as; physiotherapists, occupational therapists, teachers, carers, solicitors, case managers and others.
Is a training course for professionals suitable for me?
A training course for professionals is suitable for any professional that feels they would benefit from extra support to help their clients eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties. Many professionals find the training courses useful and interactive. The training courses would be useful for any professionals seeking the following benefits:
- Professionals are able to understand the child’s eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
- Health professionals are able to take an active role in helping the child with their eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties in context of their input.
- Professionals will be able to implement advice and strategies provided by the speech and language therapist effectively within their sessions.
- Reduced stress and anxiety for professionals during their input with the child.
- Case managers and solicitors gaining the education needed to support children with eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties on their caseload.
- Health professionals becoming aware of the warning signs of an eating, drinking and swallowing difficulty to help them manage this and know when to refer.
SLT for Kids are able to provide a range of eating, drinking and swallowing training for professionals dependent on their goals and what they would like to learn.
Worried about your child's development?
Our speech and language therapists are qualified to deliver accredited courses that target different areas of speech, language and communication development.
What type of training do you offer for professionals?
There are many different training options that can be offered by our speech and language therapists for professionals that work with children with eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties. If you feel you would benefit from any of the training sessions available, please contact us.
Training for professionals may involve:
- Strategies to help the child's eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
- Educational courses to help you understand the nature and consequences of the child's eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
- In depth activities to learn how to use equipment or speech and language therapy activities in the context of your work.
- Training in how to spot eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties in the child and how to deal with dysphagic emergencies.
- Advice sessions on when and who to refer a child to, with eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
What will training for professionals involve?
If you identify a training course that will be useful to you, or you send a query to one of our therapists you will be invited to join us for our sessions. The training course will usually take place in a clinic setting and other professionals will be there. The training courses may last 1-4 hours depending on the nature and content of the course. However, if you agree to the training, all of the information will be sent to you in a letter or over the phone by one of our speech and language therapists.
The course will be lead by one of our speech and language therapists. Depending on the content of the course or the amount of people attending, the course may be administered by two therapists or alongside another health professional if this is appropriate. This could include, physiotherapist, dietician, psychologist or occupational therapist. Each person who attends the training will receive a bespoke learning pack to take home that can be referred to at any point and act as a reminder of what you have learnt.
Throughout the training there will be a mixture of hand on activities, discussions and questions and answers. Professionals will be encouraged to take part through all of the training and show the speech and language therapists their understanding. The training will provide professionals with a chance to share their experiences with each other and to give each other advice. Our speech therapist will be available throughout the session and at the end to answer any questions that you may have throughout the training. You will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the session.