Training for parents
At SLT for Kids we consider the parent the professional when it comes to their child, that is why we provide a range of training options for parents to access. This allows parents to gain a better understanding into their child's eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties, and grow the confidence to be able to carry out the appropriate intervention programmes to help their child with their difficulties.
Is training course for parents suitable for me?
A parent training course is suitable for any parent that feels they would benefit from extra support to help their child’s eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties. Many parents find the training courses useful and interactive. The training courses would be useful for any parents seeking the following benefits:
- Parents and carers are able to understand their children's difficulties further.
- Parents and carers understand the importance of a safe and effective swallow.
- Parents and carers are able to take an active role in helping their child with their eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
- Parents and carers are able to implement strategies and advice effectively to help their child’s difficulties.
- Able to use any equipment that may be required for a safe and effective swallow.
- Reduced stress and anxiety for parents during meal times with their children.
SLT for Kids are able to provide a range of eating, drinking and swallowing training for parents dependent on the goals of the children and themselves in context of their needs.
Worried about your child's development?
Our speech and language therapists are qualified to deliver accredited courses that target different areas of speech, language and communication development.
What type of training do you offer for parents?
We offer a variety of training options to parents based on their child’s needs. Each of our training sessions for parents are bespoke and individual to their child.
Parent training sessions and courses may involve:
- Strategies to help your child's eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
- How to thicken fluid or spot the right textures.
- Educational courses to help you understand the nature and consequences of your child's eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
- In depth activities to learn how to use equipment or therapy activities.
- First aid training and how to deal with eating, drinking and swallowing related emergencies.
- Training in how to spot further eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties in your child.
What will training for parents involve?
After your child's eating, drinking and swallowing needs have been identified, if a training course is suitable for you, our speech and language therapist will create a course tailored to what will benefit you and the child based on the needs identified. The training course will usually take place in a clinic setting or the home setting, depending on where is more convenient and appropriate for you. Training may last up to an hour depending on what the training will provide. Training will be discussed with you prior to the session to ensure you know what to expect.
The training will be delivered by one of our speech and language therapists. If it is appropriate to do so, another health professional may be invited along to train you in another aspect of feeding, depending on the child’s difficulty and their area of expertise. This could include, physiotherapist, dietitian, psychologist or occupational therapist. You will receive some training information to take home with you so that you can look at the information again after the training session so there is no pressure for you to learn everything at once.
Depending on the child’s needs and the type of training that you require, the session may include; a mixture of hand on activities, discussions and questions and answers. Parents will be encouraged to take part through all of the training and show the speech and language therapists their understanding. Our speech therapist will be able to answer any questions that you may have throughout the training.