Our speech group, aim to improve children’s ability to produce clear speech that is understood by others.
It is important for children to have clear speech as it allows them to express their thoughts and feelings to others in a manner that can be understood. Children who struggle to produce clear speech can often become frustrated when they are not understood. Some children will often give up when they are not understood or stay quiet.
Children who have difficulties with speech can often present with the following:
- Unclear speech that is difficult to understand.
- Difficulty producing certain sounds.
- Difficulty recognising / differentiating between different speech sounds.
- Difficulty with the movement and coordination needed to make speech sounds.
- Phonological errors that are not age appropriate.
Our speech and language therapists will help to eliminate phonological errors and improve speech clarity by creating activities and using strategies throughout the group sessions that target your child’s particular difficulties.
What is paediatric speech and language therapy?
Paediatric speech and language therapy is provided to any child from the ages of 0-18 that requires extra support with their speech, langauge, social communication and / or swallowing. At SLT for Kids we have a team of speech and language therapists dedicated to helping each child achieve their best potential.
Aims of a speech group
- To increase clear production of speech sounds at an individual, word and conversational level.
- To increase recognition and differentiation of speech sounds at an individual, word and conversational level.
Benefits of group therapy:
- Opportunity to practice strategies learnt during therapy in a safe environment.
- To learn from others experiencing similar difficulties.
- To improve social communication skills.
- To develop other skills such as turn taking, sharing, waiting and listening.
On completion of the group, you will receive a report about the speech group, its aims, the activities carried out and your child’s improvement in relation to these. We will also include any recommendations or advice that we feel will beneficial for your child.