SLT for Kids provide services directly to primary schools tailored to their specific needs. Schools have the freedom to seek out the specialist services that they require and SLT for Kids provide schools with a professional speech and language therapist who is able to dedicate their time solely to the school's needs, whether this is on a universal, targeted or specialist level.
SLT for Kids provides primary schools with a consistently high quality speech and language therapy service. We are able to provide your school with:
- Immediate access to a broad range of speech and language therapy services that are flexible, consistent and competitively priced.
- A bespoke speech and language therapy that is tailored to each school's individual needs and each child’s individual needs.
- A scoping service at a whole school level to identify needs and effective ways of working.
- A holistic view of the school and the children.
- Therapy to accommodate universal, targeted and specialist areas of need.
- Immediate access to a speech therapist that is able to dedicate their time solely to your school.
“All children and young people are entitled to an appropriate education, one that is appropriate to their needs and enables them to achieve their best”
Do you need our help?
The following questions can provide you with some guidance on whether you might need our help:
- I am having difficulty in identifying children with SLCN
- I don’t know how to create a communication friendly environment
- I don’t think I am communicating with the children effectively
- There are lots of children in my class with SLCN
- I think I need some training on communication disorders
What services do SLT for Kids provide in primary schools?
Our dedicated speech and language therapists are able to provide speech and language therapy services tailored to the identified needs of your school. Our speech and language therapy services at SLT for Kids can be delivered on a universal, targeted and specialist level dependent on your requirements.
The universal level of speech and language therapy focuses on education and prevention of speech and language difficulties. Universal intervention will allow parents and teachers access to information allowing them to prevent or identify speech and language difficulties. This can be provided through:
- Advice, signposting and training to improve awareness and understanding.
- Training for the wider workforce.
- Indirect support for all children in a school.
- Promotion and development of communication friendly environments.
Targeted intervention will focus on specific training to develop awareness and the ability to support children with specific speech, language and communication difficulties. Targeted speech and language intervention may include:
- Specific training courses including our accredited courses to provide school staff with the skills to identify, monitor and intervene with children's speech, language and communication difficulties.
- Direct involvement of the speech and language therapist to assess and monitor children with speech, language and communication difficulties; intervention may then be carried out by parents or teachers.
Our therapists at SLT for Kids are able to provide specialist intervention for those children on the school’s caseload with specialist identified need that may not be improved without the input of a speech and language therapist. The intervention will then be carried out alongside school or parent carryover support and may include:
- Specialist assessment and interventions.
- Tailored advice to support and monitor a child's progress with a specific speech, language and communication difficulty.
- Specialist training to support schools and families e.g. in the case of feeding difficulties or use of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC).
What benefits can a speech and language therapy service provide to primary schools?
Our speech and language therapy service at SLT for Kids can provide many benefits to your school. Your school will be assigned a speech and language therapist with time that they can dedicate solely to the school and the school’s needs. They will be available to offer advice and therapy on a universal, targeted and specialist level when needed. This can not only help improve individual children's speech, language and communication difficulties but can help prevent children from getting difficulties and create improvements on a whole school level.
Our speech and language therapy service can focus on identification and raising awareness of different speech, language and communication needs and how to support these across the whole school by general training of the workforce creating universal improvement. Not only will the school have a dedicated speech and language therapist, but alongside this there will be no waiting lists for therapy and advice.
What benefits can speech and language therapy delivered within primary schools bring to a child?
All children within the school will receive potential benefits from having a speech and language therapist work within their school. Whole school consultations will help the speech and language therapist to identify the area of need across the whole school so that they can provide advice on how to improve children's speech, language and communication development on a universal level.
Training of the workforce within a school will allow any child the ability to achieve their best potential to communicate in all environments. Continuous support can be provided from class teachers and teaching assistants with the help of a speech and language therapist, benefitting every child.
Our speech and language therapists at SLT for Kids are able to identify all children that may need support so that no child goes unidentified. All children in the school can be supported by our speech and language therapists in terms of their speech, language and communication.